Until recently, children played outside and kept fit while grownups believed in healthy eating and taking the time to go to the gym. Nowadays, work, commitments, and technology have become embedded in society that it has become hard to engage in healthy living. People are driving everywhere and children are spending hours glued to their gadgets and the TV screens. In addition, fast food or microwave dishes have taken over and people are not taking the time to consider what they put in their bodies. In fact, there is never enough time in a day to work, handle family and think about health and nutrition. There are some do’s and dont’s that individuals and families alike can engage in to promote healthy living.
- There are a number of exercise routines that people can engage in that do not require long hours in a gym. It is possible to find as little as 10 minute exercise regimens and you can do multiple workout sessions in a day. Alternatively, discipline yourself to insert that workout time into your busy schedules with no excuses
- ü Cardio Exercises are a great way to put in daily exercise time. Jogging, Walking, Cycling, Swimming and Jump Rope are some of the best examples. At least 10 to 15 minutes of any of these activities in a day can keep your heart rate up and health intact.
- ü Dancing is also a workout that one can engage in. From Zumba to Hip Hop, there are a number of routines available on DVD or online that will get you moving and keeping fit
Avoid driving or getting a ride to all your appointments or workplace. If it is possible, try and walk or jog to certain places that are reachable in this manner. In addition, taking a bicycle on errands or even to work can keep you toned and healthy.
Children and adults alike should turn off the screens and engage in fun activities like games, going for walks, cycling or going for a hike. It is important for the younger family members to understand the health benefits of being active.
Avoid sitting at your desk all day. This can promote weight gain and poor eating habits. Take the time to walk and stretch in and around the office in order to keep fit. Your lunch break can involve a walk in the park or around the block or a quick workout session.
- It is possible to cook and store meals in the freezer which can come in handy on a late night. Healthy meals can be prepared in advance and reheated in a pan for the family to enjoy.
- Carry snacks and lunch to work or school. Having your own dishes prepared from home is the best way to avoid indulging in junk or restaurant food which can have hidden calories. Some fruits and vegetable snacks or healthy meals prepared from home are the best option.
- Look for go-to recipes that can be prepared in 30 minutes or less. Dishes that include pasta, eggs, vegetables, cubed meats, steaks, fish and dairy can be prepared in less time than roasts or slow cooker meals. This encourages you to always have fresh meals and avoid take-away or sleeping on an empty stomach.
- Hydration is important for healthy living. This means drinking water and fresh juices that will keep your body regulated and healthy. It not only helps with digestion and hydration, but it also helps to rejuvenate your skin, making it look smooth and healthy.
Avoid skipping meals. This is one of the main reasons why people end up binge eating or affecting their metabolism which can result in weight gain and other issues. Portion control is preferred over missing meals altogether. Having snacks or a packed meal will ensure that the hunger pangs do not bite.
Avoid fad diets. There are hundreds of diets popping up each day and each of them promises instant results. Diets can rob the body of essential nutrients which means that your health can be at risk. Instead, eat a balanced diet and take less start and more fruits or vegetables.
Resist from purchasing packaged or processed foods. These include microwave dinners, noodle packs and junk food. The presence of these in the home can prompt someone to indulge in them and avoid eating healthy.
Emotional and Spiritual Health
- Families should do a number of constructive projects or activities together. This will be beneficial to all members to stay connected and keep up with their daily events. This can include camping trips, fishing, walks, cooking as well as arts and crafts.
- Find a source of spiritual guidance. This is beneficial because when all aspects of your life are balanced, then you are embracing healthy living. Joining a place of worship or connecting with your inner self through meditation and yoga can offer some enlightenment and spiritual growth.
Avoid being a lone wolf. Spending time all alone can give rise to depression, irritability and social withdrawal symptoms. Join a club, make friends at a gym, connect with relatives and friends and avoid being an introvert.
Surround yourself with positive energy. This can be connecting with like-minded people or leaving your work at the office and not carrying it home. This can give rise to stress and poor performance over time. Engage in activities that keep your spirits high in order to have a balanced life.